FAQ’s: Homeowner Resources

Listed below are Frequently Asked Questions submitted by Forest Heights residents. If you have a question that you would like to see added to this list, please send your question to: contactus@fhhoa.com.

What is the purpose of the Forest Heights Semi Annual Assessment?
Forest Heights is a master planned community established in 1989. The Association was turned over from the original developer, Nauru Phosphate Royalties, to the owners in March 2003. The Association consists of over 600 acres of property which includes over 200 acres of common area open space. Forest Heights HOA is responsible for the maintenance of the common area open space which includes but is not limited to the following:

  • Recreational trail system consisting of approximately six miles of graveled and paved trails
  • Mill Pond Park including playground structures
  • Landscape maintenance throughout the Association’s common area open space
  • Transportation service required by the City of Portland as a condition of the City’s approval of the Forest Heights Planned Unit Development

The Forest Heights HOA Semi-Annual Assessment is determined based on the annual operating budget which includes the funding of the Common Property Reserve as specified in our reserve study

How much is the Forest Heights Semi Annual Assessment?
All owners of a residential lot or a condominium or townhome (referred to as “sub-association”) within the Forest Heights HOA property boundaries are legally required to pay the Forest Heights HOA Semi-Annual Assessment. The Forest Heights HOA Semi-Annual Assessment is currently $294.00 and is due on January 1st and July 1st each year. The association offers a 30 day grace period following the due date. A late charge of $50 is assessed to accounts 30 days or more past due. A finance charge of .75% per month is assessed to accounts 30 days or more past due.
What is a private street?
As part of the original development of Forest Heights, some streets were designated as private. These streets do not meet the City of Portland requirements and are therefore the responsibility of the Association to maintain through a Private Street Assessment. This assessment is determined based upon the Private Street reserve study and is used for the following:

  • Slurry Surfacing/Overlay
  • Storm Drain maintenance

Note: Private streets Do Not include streets located within a condominium/townhome (sub-association) as these streets are maintained through the assessment collected for the individual condominium/townhome sub-association.

How much is the Private Street Annual Assessment?
In 2015, owners of a residence on a private street pay an Annual Assessment of $137.93 which is due January 1st each year. Please Note: This assessment is in addition to the Forest Heights HOA Semi-Annual Assessment.
Why does my townhome/condo have a separate homeowners association?
Forest Heights Homeowners Association, which governs the common areas of Forest Heights, is called a Master Planned Community. The overall development of Forest Heights contains single-family homes, townhomes, condominiums, apartments, and commercial buildings. Townhome and condominium developments within Forest Heights are subject to additional sets of CC&R’s that govern common areas within those developments, as well as responsibility for maintenance of such things as siding, roofing, and other items particular to that community. Owners in such communities pay two sets of assessments, one to Forest Heights for the overall common areas, and one to their particular association, for the particular maintenance responsibilities of their community. The apartments and commercial buildings also pay assessments to Forest Heights.
Is there a certain type of bark dust required for my landscape?
The Architectural Guidelines require that owners use “aged, dark bark dust” (Section 5.5) as a general ground cover in the landscape. Aged bark dust is darker in color than fresh bark dust. There are two predominant types of aged bark dust available that meet this requirement: Hemlock and Fir. Although Fir costs less, Hemlock tends to have fewer splinters, and is often preferred by homeowners with small children and by those who do their own gardening. Aged bark dust of either variety is allowed.
Why are there coyotes in Forest Heights? What should I do if I see one?
The Association office has received an increasing number of calls regarding coyote sightings during the day, coyotes exhibiting bold behavior, and the loss of pets due to coyote attacks. Unfortunately our neighborhood provides an abundant source of food and shelter for the coyotes, thus attracting them to stay and raise their pups here. Unless and until that changes, we will continue to have coyotes in our neighborhood and conflicts will also continue and possibly worsen.

The coyote is one of the most adaptable animals in the U.S., learning to live and thrive in diverse habitats from deserts, to swamps, suburbs to cities. True scavenger, coyotes will eat nearly anything. This includes bird food, birds trying to eat bird food, carrion, snakes, small rodents, fruit, vegetables, garbage, pet food and unfortunately pets as well (mostly cats and small dogs).

Neither Multnomah County Animal Control nor Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife have the resources to trap and relocate coyotes.

Why are there solicitors in Forest Heights?
Neither the Association nor the City of Portland has a formal rule or regulation on door to door solicitations. The law restricts the Association from having solicitors, advertisers and canvassers removed from Forest Heights, unless their activities are taking place on Association Common Area. Therefore, we rely on our residents to reinforce the message that such activity is not welcome in Forest Heights.

Individual home owners control their private property and control who is allowed to enter and remain on that property or face possible criminal charges for trespassing under ORS 164.245. To assist in this effort, the Architectural Review Committee has approved several different plaques made by web-based vendor Custom Doorbell. Custom Doorbell offers bronze and pewter plaques available with or without a decorative stone backing. The plaques are made to adhere to a variety of siding finishes and range in price from $45 to $50, including shipping and handling. A sample sign can be viewed at the Association office.

There are several steps that you can take to deter door to door solicitations in our neighborhood:

  • Post the ARC-approved “No Solicitors” plaque next to your doorbell (this will prohibit licensed solicitors from ringing your doorbell). Should unknown visitors ring your doorbell, it is best not to answer the door.
  • If you choose to answer the door, tell them you have a policy of never buying anything at your door. Then say “goodbye” and close the door.
  • Never let a stranger in to your house to show you something or do a demonstration.
  • Feel free to call the Association office (during regular business hours 9AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday) or the patrol service (503-846-9607) during evening hours to report solicitors.
  • If at any time something doesn’t add up, the solicitor refuses to leave your property when asked, appears to be casing the neighborhood, or is doing something they shouldn’t, call the police non-emergency dispatch 503-823-3333, or if you believe you are in danger call 911.
  • The best policy is to never buy anything from solicitors. If no one bought anything, solicitors would not continue to routinely blanket our neighborhood.
How do I report Street Light Issues?
Please report Private Street light outages and/or cycling issues (light turns on and off) to the Forest Heights HOA office by emailing contactus@fhhoa.com or calling (503) 297-9400. We request the following:

  • Street address of the nearest residence
  • Place a ribbon around the street light at eye level. This ribbon will be removed when the light is fixed.

Public street light outages and/or cycling issues (light turns on and off) can also be reported to the City of Portland via their online reporting form. You will need to supply the city with the following information:

  • The map number and pole number from the actual light pole
  • Street address of the nearest residence
Are there any other fees I need to be aware of?Other than homeowner dues and private street assessments, the following fees may apply in certain circumstances:

  • Late fees – $50
  • Interest on past due accounts – 9% Annual
  • New owner setup fee – $150
  • Lender Questionnaire – $50
  • Resale demand – $100 ($25 for an update)
  • Rush fees – $25
  • Shuttle ID replacement – $10
  • Guest passes for shuttle – $1/trip
  • ARC applications – vary
  • Compliance fines – vary
  • Administrative fee for violation notices and past due notices – $35